Bio-Bibliographical Information on
REV. FR ALOYSIUS PIERIS, S.J.,
Theologian and Indologist
(prepared by Sr Frances de Silva, the Tulana Archivist and updated by Dr. Ms Sheila Fernando in 2015)
The information given here is incomplete as Fr Pieris has not cared to maintain any record of his activities, writings and lectures. This list is made possible thanks to the labour of the Tulana Archivist, Sr Frances de Silva, who began to collect the material from 1976 onwards. So far, only two of the earliest articles (published in the 1950s and early 1960s) have been traced by her. Also few of the writings in Sinhalese (appearing from 1960s onwards) are still being searched but the recent ones found by Dr Sheila Fernando are listed at the end.
I. BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
Born: 9 April1934
Jesuit since 23 December1953
Presbyter since 4 July1965
- Primary education: Jesuit run St Mary’s School, Ampitiya
- Secondary Education: Jesuit run St Aloysius College, Galle
- Ecclesiastical Studies (Pontifical Degrees recognized by Secular Universities)
L.Ph (Sacred Heart College, Shembaganur),1959
STL (Pontifical Theological Faculty, S. Luigi, Naples),1966
- Secular Studies
BA (First Class Honours in Pali & Sanskrit, Univ. of London),1961
PhD (in Buddhist Philosophy, Univ. of Sri Lanka, Vidyodaya Campus),1971
Diploma in Prepolyphonic Music, Fond. Cini, Venice.1964
Professorships (Chairs) held
- Franciscan Chair of Mission Studies, Washington Theological Union, Maryland, USA (1987)
- Henry Luce Chair of World Christianity, Union Theological Seminary [cross-registration with Columbia University], New York, USA(1988),
- A.P.Wilson Distinguished Visiting Chair of Theology, Divinity School, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, USA(1992)
- Teape Westcott Lectures, Univ. of Cambridge, 1982
- Martin D’Arcy Lectures, Univ. of Oxford, 1990
- Drawbridge Lecture, King’s College, Univ. of London, 1990
- Von Hugel Lecture, St Edmund’s College, Univ. of Cambridge, 1990
- Gregorian University, Rome (1972-73)
- Pontifical Theological Faculty, Naples, 1973
- Graduate Theological Union, Berkley [cross-registration with Univ. of California, Berkley] USA, 19763.
- East Asian Pastoral Institute of the Athaneo de Manila University, Philippines, (from 1972/3 to1993/94)
- Vidyodaya Pirivena, Pali and Buddhist University, Colombo(1993)
- Prajnà Pitha, Jesuit Institute of Integrated Religious Studies, Kandy
1. Post-Graduate Institute of Pali and Buddhist Studies, Kelaniya University (March 2006)
2.. Dept of Western Civilization and Christian Culture, Kelaniya University, 2009 and2010.
Public Lectures (incomplete list)
- Dept of Religious Studies, Univ. of California, Santa Cruz Campus, USA, 1976
- Ecumenical Institute, Munster University, Germany, 1981
- Department of Theology, Birmingham University, UK, 1982
- Missiological Faculties ( of the Universities of Holland), gathered at Utrecht University, 1979.
- University of Leeds, UK.
- Maynooth College, Dublin University, Ireland
- Athaneo de Manila University, Philippines.
- St Xavier’s University, Cagayan d’oro, Philippines.
- Sophia University, Tokyo (lectures given conjointly with Gusatavo Gutierrez).
- University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka.
Examiner or Supervisor of Post-GraduateStudents
- Tubingen University, Germany.
- Serampore University, India
- Post-Graduate Institute of Pali and Buddhist Studies, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
- Jnanadip Institute of Philosophy, Pune,India
- Vidyajyoti Faculty of Theology, Delhi, India
- Pali and Buddhist University, Colombo (Vidyodaya Pirivena).
- Dept of Western Culture & Christianity, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
- University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka
- Hong Kong University (Buddhist StudiesDepartment)
- Co-Founder and Co-Editor of Dialogue NS (with Dr Lynn A de Silva), since1974 and also the current editor
- Member of Editorial Board of Directors, Concilium (International Theological Journal) since 1986 (resigned due to ill-health, but serving in the Advisory Board)
- Member of the Board of Editorial Advisory Panel of World Faith Encounter,London.
- Editor, Vagdevi, Journal of Religious Reflection, (International Journal of Theology), Kelaniya.
- Founder-Director, Tulana Research Centre, Kelaniya, from 1974.
- Co-founder, Patron and Trust Board Member of Sr Greta Nalawatta’s Centre for Education of Hearing Impaired Children, Dalugama, from 1982.
- Member of the International Board of Advisors on Inter-faith and Inter-churchRelations (Jesuit headquarters, Rome), 2011-2013.
- Advisor, Dilaltato Corde Inter-Monastic Dialogue (USA)
Resource Person (incomplete list)
- Inter-monastic Congress II, Bangalore, 1973
- Inter-monastic Congress III, Kandy, 1980
- Asian Theological Conference, EATWOT, Wennappuwa, Sri Lanka, 1979
- Tricontinental Conference of EATWOT, New Delhi, 1981
- SEDOS Congress on the Future of Missions, Rome, 1983?
- Tricontinental Consultation of EATWOT, New Delhi, 1987.
- South East Asian Major Superiors Fifth Congress, Manila, 1985
- Bishops’ Institute of Social Action VI, (FABC), Kandy19??
- Bishops’ Institute of Social Action, VII (FABC), Thailand, 1986
- Asia Pacific, Regional Chapter of Oblates of Mary Immaculate, Bangalore, 1989
- Good Shepherd Provincial Chapter, Wattala, ??
- Good Shepherd Provincial Chapter, Wattala, ??
- Christian Brothers Regional Chapter, Mutuwal, 1994
- Christian Brothers Regional Chapter, Mutuwal, 2004.
- Columban Seminar, Dublin, Ireland, 198?
- Marist Brothers’ 10th International Conference, Negombo, 2005.
- Sri Lanka Association of Buddhist Studies (SLABS), Sri Lanka.
- Pali Text Society (London/Oxford).
- Ecumenical Association of Third World Theologians
Dissertations on the Theology of Fr Aloysius Pieris
A rough estimate of over 50 such dissertations is conjectured. The list is still in the process of being prepared from footnotes of articles and books where such dissertations are cited.
II. BIBILIOGRAPHY (Books, Articles in European languages and Sinhala)